• Contracts signed for nearly all channels for third party broadcasters on Antenne Deutschland’s DAB+ platform • More attractive formats for the last 2 available channels about to be decided With the allocation of channels reserved for third...
Pressemitteilungen und Presseschau
14 of 16 channels allocated: National commercial DAB+ platform launches with attractive range of radio stations
• Contracts signed for nearly all channels for third party broadcasters on Antenne Deutschland’s DAB+ platform
• More attractive formats for the last 2 available channels about to be decided
With the allocation of channels reserved for third party broadcasters on the national platform for commercial stations almost complete, radio listeners throughout Germany can look forward to a significant increase in the number of digital radio stations they can pick up on DAB+. Platform provider Antenne Deutschland, which will itself run six stations, and National German Radio are currently talking to prestigious broadcasters in order to fill the last two of the 16 channels.
Alongside Antenne Deutschland’s six radio stations, the following eight stations will go on the air together with the new platform in October 2020:
- ANTENNE BAYERN – Germany’s most listened to private radio
- Drivers Classic by WIM*
- A second program format by the ENERGY group in Germany*
- JOKE FM – comedy and hits
- PROFI Radio – the innovative special interest program for handymen and DIYers
- RTL – Germany’s hit radio
- ROCK ANTENNE – The best rock non-stop for Germany!
- TOGGO Radio – The new children and family radio from SUPER RTL
“The resulting range of stations already provides an excellent blend of established brands and new players. They combine attractive content with solid economic backing. National radio in Germany was long overdue and is now a reality. Nearly four decades after the start of commercial radio, there are now radio companies, national radio brands, and a powerful, market-driven audio marketer in Germany, too,” declared Erwin Linnenbach, CEO of National German Radio.
In February 2020, National German Radio GmbH was exclusively appointed by Antenne Deutschland to allocate the free transmission capacities on the first and only national commercial DAB+ platform, the ‘2nd DAB+ Bundesmux’. The international call for expressions of interest began in March and is now nearing completion.
Even in the first phase of Antenne Deutschland’s national DAB+ platform, about 67 million people will be able to listen to the new array of 16 stations by the end of 2020.
DAB+ is already available right across Germany. It can be heard in all conurbations and also on nearly the entire motorway network.
The quantity of devices equipped to receive the digital radio standard DAB+ is rising fast. Last year, the number of households in Germany with DAB+ radios increased by 34% compared to the previous year.
There is also strong political support for the digitization of terrestrial radio broadcasting. From the end of 2020, all new vehicles in the EU will have to be equipped with radios which can pick up digital stations. There will also be a similar obligation for all other radio receivers fitted with a display.
About Antenne Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG, Berlin
Antenne Deutschland GmbH & Co is a consortium made up of Absolut Digital GmbH & Co. KG and Media Broadcast GmbH. Antenne Deutschland won the tender to operate the first and last private DAB+ platform and was appointed by the regional media authorities in Germany to broadcast and distribute national radio station.